I’m going to go ahead and make a bold statement here — these are my favorite homemade chocolate chip cookies. They taste and look like they came from an expensive bakery. The browned butter adds a hint of nutty flavor and the chopped dark chocolate chunks add a unique visual appeal.
Before going into the oven, the cookies are topped with a sprinkle of Maldon salt. Maldon salt flakes are pyramid-shaped and are very light and fragile. They add the perfect touch of salt and hint of texture to the cookies. Trader Joe’s sells their own version of Maldon salt, but I’ve found that it lacks the delicacy of the original. This is definitely one case where TJ’s doesn’t win. It’s worth the splurge to get the real deal.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped dark chocolate
- Maldon salt, for garnish
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Continue to heat the butter for approximately 5 minutes, stirring and being sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. Once the butter starts to foam, be sure to watch it very carefully. The butter is browned once it smells nutty and has flecks of brown. Quickly remove it from the heat so it does not burn.
- Transfer the butter into a medium sized bowl. Chill the butter so that it solidifies again. You can place it in the refrigerator, or place the bowl over an ice bath if you are in a hurry.
- In a mixer with the paddle attachment, add the chilled butter and sugars together and beat on medium speed for approximately 3 minutes. The mixture is done when the butter and sugars have become fluffy and pale in color.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix until just combined.
- In a separate bowl stir the salt, baking powder and flour together. Once combined, slowly add the dry ingredients to mixing bowl until the flour is not longer visible. Stir in the chopped dark chocolate.
- Using a 3 oz. scoop (I used an ice cream scoop), place the cookie dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Since the cookies are larger than average size, be sure not to overcrowd the pan or they will spread and stick together. I baked 9 cookies on each pan.
- Sprinkle each dough ball with a pinch of Maldon salt.
- Bake in a 375ºF oven for 13-15 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire baking sheet.
Did you make these Chocolate Chunk Brown Butter Cookies? Tag #styleandspice on Instagram so we can see!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. I was not paid to endorse any of these products, and all opinions are entirely my own.